- 22 Nov, 19
- 06:30 PM - 08:30 PM
- Academy of Fine Arts: Kolkata
- The childless couple of ancient Athens, King Xuthus and his gorgeous wife Queen Creusa, seeks the blessings of God Boreas and then visits God Apollon’s temple at Delphi. Priestess Daphnis informs Creusa, daughter of King Erechtheus, about the oracle of God Apollon that the royal couple will soon bear a male child, Doris. But till the prophecy comes true, Creusa will have to follow another commandment of the God. They will have to adopt the attractive and handsome young man, Ion, who has grown up in the temple and crown him the prince of Athens.
- While King Xuthus happily agrees to obey the divine command the queen does not. Creusa’s affection for her unborn child and sheer aversion for a stranger makes her unwilling to follow the order. As the King goes ahead with the plan of the adoption ceremony Creusa loses her cool and conspires with her servant Danius to kill Ion by poisoning his drink. Danius fails to carry out her order and gets caught red handed. Aghast, Ion returns to the temple at Delphi. Creusa admits her role in this conspiracy publicly. King Xuthus has no option but to initiate the trial for justice in a democracy.
- The trial begins….Here Religion and politics blends together and gets an upper hand over state policy and its sovereignty in the proceedings. It witnesses the effect of the majority overpowering the minority while the foolish society keeps searching for a scapegoat. The arguments and counter arguments in the trial come to an abrupt end after the sudden appearance of Delphi’s chambermaid, Pythia. The truth about Ion’s birth leaves the royal couple stunned and overwhelmed.
- Queen Creusa, remembering her tumultuous past in the clamorous present, finally surrenders to the power of destiny embracing the unfamiliar future, like the common people on earth who live their lives in the binary of trust-mistrust, wrath-vengeance and love-hatred.
Venue: Academy of Fine Arts